Mauri Terra Connors is a multidisciplinary artist located in the countryside of Virginia. She makes work with movement, paper, and words.
From 2018 through 2021, Mauri was the Artistic Director of Halestone Dance Studio, located in Lexington, VA. In that role she provided artistic direction, strategic management, operational management, grant-writing, production, and education for a small, rural arts non-profit.
Accomplishments in that role include:
- Oversaw construction of organization’s first mission statement
- Authored organization’s first strategic plan
- Managed organization and dance studio under COVID-19, including pivoting to online, hybrid, and outdoor instruction to safely meet mission
- Applied as an organization for the first time to 6 grants, 5 of which were awarded
- Secured grant funding of over $16,000
- Oversaw solicitation of new donors and managed year-end fundraising campaigns that raised over $13,000
- Oversaw the establishment of organization’s endowment with the community foundation
- Conceived and piloted innovative transportation programs to increase access to area children
Mauri received her BA in Dance with honors from Connecticut College in 2015, where she studied with David Dorfman, Heidi Henderson, Shani Collins-Achille, Lisa Race, and Shawn Hove. She has performed with Jenny Davies/ Progeny Dance and was a performer in Vicky Virgin’s Arm Dance #1: Forgiveness, a dance for camera. Her writing and visual work have been included in Contact Quarterly, Movement Research Performance Journal, and About Place Journal.
Her current artistic projects are a series of manuscripts that meld fiction stories set in the past and future of the Virginia countryside, as well as discuss the importance of desire in the pursuit of living a moral life.